Frequently Asked Questions from Previous Clients

1) How many tracks can we record at one time?

We can record as up to 16 tracks at one time (live tracking) and unlimited tracks through Cubase 10 Pro-7 & 6.5  recording DAW (Digital Audio Workstation).

We  track all of our fully Produced demos at our other studio source. The benefit to you is your basic tracks; Drums, Bass, Keys, Electric Guitar, can be recorded all at once and you then come back for overdubs, like vocals & harmony.

2) How many hours is a day rate?

A typical block day rate is 8 hours @65.00 per hour studio time $520.00 a day.If you have a band you can get a lot done in a block rate.

If you want to come in and sing to some tracks or you have music mp3 files, or just sing with your guitar live, the rate is $65.00 per hour with an Engineer.  Unlike most studios there is no extra charge for the Engineer.

3) What format do we record with?

The only format we run at the present is  Cubase Pro 10, 7 & 6.5 software . A great DAW (AKA) Digital Audio Workstation we love it just makes our job so much more efficent !

4) Do we provide mastering?

We live in the digital age. The DAW or (Digital Audio Workstation) and various plug-ins available today have made just about everyone a “mastering engineer”.

BWS does not provide mastering services. This is a very specialized skill, using very specialized and very expensive equipment. In addition, mastering rooms are acoustically tuned for this function. This is well beyond the scope of any basic studio and certainly most individuals.

I have found that many “mastering houses” simply run your mix through a mastering finalize such as a BBE Sonic Maximizer or TC Electronics Finalizer or spatial enhancer. This is not mastering, it is artificially boosting frequencies. If your music is simply for your own listening pleasure or a song demo these units are fine. If you are looking to bring your music to market, I suggest you have your music mastered by a reputable mastering house.

We run all of our song demos through Sound Forge 10.0 Pro for finalizing & Waves Mastering Plugins, L3 Multimaximizer, SSL Compression, and many other plugins which sets levels and EQ’S for final project, if you want additional mastering we can provide you with sources for that if needed many great ones here in town.

5) Do we record all styles of music?

We track mostly Acoustic, Country, Modern Country, Folk, Christian Country, Gospel , Bluegrass but we are always open to other styles. These are the genres we are most experienced with.

6) How long will it take us to complete my song demo?

The whole process normally takes (1-4 weeks) for large projects 5 -7 days days for (one) song tracked ,mixed & mastered  from the time we receive your submission to the time you will receive the demo in the mail or email.

If you order multiple songs, the process might take a little longer. Remember, you are more than welcome to email us to check the status of your demo order. We will send small mp3 sample clips to make sure you know how it is sounding.

NOTE: Backwoods Studio always stores and backups all master files if you ever need them in the future at no charge.

You own 100% own all your tracks and arrangements, once we are paid and complete a project its yours!

7) Do we pitch music to publishers and writers?

No. We are simply a recording studio not a Publisher or record label. We also do not pitch demos that are recorded here as that’s an entire other expertise.

8) Can our Studio provide musicians?

Yes. We have a roster of some of the finest musicians working in and around the Nashville area most are good friends we have worked with for years!

9) Do we accept credit card payments?

Yes. We take all major Credit Cards as well as PayPal, Money Orders, Checks or Cash as well as on our cell phones with Square & PayPal Reader.

10) What is the wait time for blocking out the studio?

If the studio is currently not booked there is always a lead time of one week prior to the session booked. Contact us for scheduling.

11) Do I need to copyright my song?

Technically your song is copyrighted the minute your pen leaves the paper. You do not need to copyright your song right away. It is advisable to copyright a song that gets a lot of exposure. Copyrighting songs is an expensive practice if you are a prolific writer. Normally you would get the copyright before the song get recorded by an artist.

It is advisable to copyright multiple songs and only pay one fee for the entire collection. The collection of songs however must have the same writers on each composition. If one of your songs receives a lot of  attention you may consider to follow up the copyright with an individual registration for that song.

12) How do I copyright my song?

You contact the Library of Congress Copyright Office in Washington DC and ask for the PA form now it is called the CO form. Fill out the form and send it in with a copy of your song or collection of songs and a check that covers the registration fee 40.00 per song or multiple songs.

13) Do I have to live in Nashville, LA, or NY to succeed as a songwriter?

There is no right or wrong answer to this question. You need to realize that songwriting is more than an art. It is a business, and like all businesses you have to work at it full time. The music business is based on relationships. To be successful  as a songwriter, network and develop some strong relationships with people in the business. You never know when the opportunity will present itself for you to pitch your song.

14) How can I learn more about the business of songwriting?

If you have a songwriting association in your town by all means join. There you will find access to materials, books, videos, classes, showcases, and collaboration opportunities. If you don’t we have two organizations in Nashville that are dedicated to the education of songwriters. NSAI and SGA.

15) Do you listen to outside material?

No. The reason for that is TRAYJ MUSIC has its own writers. They provide us with plenty of material and we have limited staff to be able to go through all the song submissions that we would get. We will be open to listening to songwriters who have studied with NSAI and met with a performing rights organization writer rep and have developed enough contacts to be referred to us.

16) What is a performing rights organization?

A performing rights organization (PRO) is the company that collects your royalties from radio airplay (performance royalties). The three choices are ASCAP, BMI and SESAC. They employ people to meet with writers and artists. They are called artist/writer reps and are there to help you.

If you come to town you should try to meet with them all. Eventually when you become a professional writer you will be faced with the decision of which one to affiliate with. It will be a much easier decision if you have developed a good overview of what each company has to offer. These music organizations also are an excellent place to develop some good solid contacts in town.

For More Information Visit:


17) Who is cutting right now?

That changes weekly. There are pitch sheets available. Music Row Magazine has an excellent one that comes out weekly and can be ordered on an annual subscription basis.

18) Is a fully produced song demo required for pitching to publishers?

Some people just don’t get it unless it sounds like a full-blown record. The important thing about the demo, whether it’s a fully produced band demo or a guitar vocal is to make sure:

Mic1. The vocalist sings in tune

2. The instruments are in tune

3. You can hear the lyrics over the music

4. The recording is of the highest quality

This is where Backwoods Recording Studio comes in. We produce high quality song demos and CD Projects for songwriters and artists as well as the novice. If you have a question not on this list please Contact Us anytime.